Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Pecker

A film by John Waters. Now this was strange. I had no idea what to expect from it but had heard many of my classmates really didn't like this film, so I was pleasantly surprised that I did.
It's about a young man named Pecker (b/c he 'peck's at his food) who goes around his neighbourhood in Baltimore taking pictures of events (yes, rats having sex) and people (strippers, homeless people, his family) with his little black and white film camera. He 'sees art everywhere'. From a show he has in the diner he works at he gets discovered by the New York art world and is suddenly a sensation there. Of course they see the images as amusing insights to the uncultured. Pecker's family and friends are not so happy with how they are portrayed and it affects his relationships until he figures out a way to rectify them. Which he does.
What I liked about this movie is the sly humour running through it. There were many subliminal messages going on - such as the theme to vaginas - pictures of them, pubic hair talk, crabs bar, and more. Plus what it's saying about the art world and how strange it can be. You just never know what's going to be the hit that month. It also was a satirical look at life in Baltimore from which most of John Waters movies are based.
All said and done, very amusing.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kate. I found this movie more creepy than "One Hour Photo" in some ways. I'm not familiar with John Waters' other movies... have you seen them? Are they similar to this one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Loved your write up... very neutral.... I found people either really liked it or really didnt... for me it was great... who doesnt want to be a star and get paid 72,300 for there first show.... sign me up.....

    ReplyDelete